Hey Eveyone!
I finally found a room! I was charged double the asking price when the owner saw I was foreign, but at this point I'm just desperate, so I'm planning to stay for a month and try to bargain the price down later. It's really hard for me understand why I'm expected to pay more for the same room just because I am foreign. It's still a room with a squatting toliet and no shower (there is this showering method here where you use a scoop to dump water from a tall tub thing over your head. It's hard to image until you've seen it.) Even when you tell people you are here on scholarship, they still think you are so rich to come and expect you to pay more for everything. It is a really big frustration for me sometimes. I don't mind paying a little extra because I understand why they want me to, but charging me double for being foreign is a little over the top! I guess that is my biggest frustration here. That and the staring. When I am in the center of the city where Nyoman lives, I am stared at so much because it's not common to see tourists and I'm fairer than most tourists. Not to mention it's very rare to see a local boy and a foreign girl together. I'm slowly getting used to it. It's like being a minor celebrity (especially at my school where all of the local students know all of the foreign students and are always shouting halo, etc).
My language is coming along pretty well because I;m always surrounded by opportunities to learn. Also I am getting better at driving! It's very nerve wracking in the city, so I think it will be much easier to get around when I move to my school area (which is in a more touristy area that has less crazy traffic).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'd be curious to see what the bathrooms look like. Based on your description I Googled Bathrooms in Bali and found this....http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/Toilet_of_Indonesia_200507.jpg.
Squatting toilet?
I couldn't get that link to pull up here (the internet is so slow), but I googled a picture and this is basically what my toliet looks like. http://scienceblogs.com/clock/upload/2007/03/squat-toilet.jpg
And then there is this kind of tub like thing but it's smaller and taller. It holds water that you can use to flush the toliet and take a "shower," wash your hands etc.
Yes, that is the same type toilet in my pic. Seems kinda akward. Picturing myself using it is making me lol.
Post a Comment