So, things here are looking up! I moved in and am very happy with my room. There is a good amount of privacy and it's not so hot. I have even pretty much adjusted to the bathroom! However, I will be moving in with my friend Okta in a few weeks. She saw where I was living and insisted that I move into her house which is very near my school. I am excited to live with my friends and also because this house has a kitchen and washing machine and hot water!! It will great to be able to do laundry and cook. Right now I am eating out all of the time. The food here is wonderful, but it's very spicy and kind of heavy (the eat rice for all three meals), so I will be glad to have other options.
Also, I can drive now! This is so exciting because I can travel pretty much wherever I want during the day, and I don't have to walk to school everyday (I was getting so much attention. People were stopping to offer me rides and ask where I was going. I can't blend in here at all!) So I feel a lot more free! This is a huge feat (if you could see the traffic, you would know what I mean). I've pretty much decided that if you just stay out of people's way, they won't hit you. You just have to constantly be on the lookout for people who are doing crazy things that you would never even think of doing in the States. Now almost everyday, I go to the beach for a few hours after school. It's really nice and peaceful there.
In other news, school is good! I have been learning a lot, and I feel very good about my progress in the language. I can tell that I am improving! This is so exciting because I have been dreaming of being able to speak this language for so long!! I've also started learning a few phrases in Balinese because people really seem to be surprised and appreciative when you throw in a little Balinese!
This weekend I am planning to attention the Ubud Writers and Readers Festival with Ayu. I can only afford to go for a day, but I can't wait! Ubud is a very beautiful city (it is very green and has rice paddies everywhere), and this festival seems to be very well respected. I will really be in my element (among readers and writers in Southeast Asia!!!)
Thank you for the comments and emails! I am so happy to hear from everyone at home! I miss you and love you all!
Hannah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment