Friday, October 31, 2008

More Pictures!



Nyoman and me at Dreamland (a popular surfing beach).



I went to Ayu's village for her brother and sister's tooth filing ceremony (one of the major life ceremonies). Since major ceremonies are expensive due to preparations, hiring priests, and the offerings required, many major ceremonies are combined. This picture is of a Balinese bride and groom who were getting married at the same ceremony as about 10 or 15 teenagers were getting their teeth filed. Actually, the groom had never had the ceremony done, so he was one of the one's to get his teeth filed (because it is vitally important to have it done before you are married). It is done because two of your front teeth look like animal teeth (pointy), so they are straightened to cure you of 6 bad habits ( I can't remember them, but they are similar to the 7 deadly sins).








Just a small sample of the offerings that were prepared for this ceremony. The main offering was suckling pig (which is delicious). After the ceremony, the offerings are shared with all of the families that helped prepare for the ceremony.

This is Ayu's younger brother and sister, mom and nephew. After the tooth filing, the participants changed clothes and put on makeup (including boys). The girls had elaborate head dresses put on my professional hair stylists. It was like watching people get ready for prom!



This picture was taken at the entrance of the Bat Cave. As its name suggests there are so many bats (even in the day) at the entrance to the cave that the temple surrounds. This temple is very sacred because the cave is thought to be connected to the Mother temple (which is the most sacred temple located beside a volcano in Bali - which isn't active - when you see the volcano, it's easy to see why this temple would be the most sacred in Bali)


This black sand beach was located across the road from the Bat Cave temple.





These are the students who led the graduation procession at my school.





At graduation - this is most of my class (they are from Japan, Hungary, Austria, Serbia, Korea, and Germany) and 2 of my 5 teachers (I have a new teacher every school day).






Me at Uluwatu Temple (which is very close to where I live).

These are temple monkeys playing in a pool of water. You can't really see from the picture, but they have a rope vine, that they are swinging into the water from. These monkeys are known for being troublemakers, and sure enough one snuck away from the group to get behind me and try to seize my glasses. Luckily, I escaped with my glasses. While I was there I saw several people lose important items (cameras, wallets). These are smart monkeys. They hold the items until they are offered a bribe that they like (food is their favorite). They don't even seem to be interested in the items. It's just a means to an end.







I went to Okta's village (my friend I now live with) for a ceremony for her dad's Balinese birthday (a Balinese birthday happens every 6 months because the traditional calendar is 6 months long). It was an all-day affair with plenty of offerings, family, friends, and food! This picture is of the priest blessing the offerings at the first ceremony of the day (just for the immediate family).





Okta's family praying.






Okta with her mom, dad, brother, brothers' girlfriends, cousins, and aunty.



The view from the one of the mountains in Okta's village.



Okta!!



Another picture of Okta's village.

That's all for now! That's pretty much the last two months summed up in a few pictures. I'm having a wonderful time and learning so much. I still can't believe that I'm lucky enough to have people all around me to practice Bahasa Indonesia with!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay!!!!!!!!! nyoman is dark, and you are skinny! is he feeding you? ;) i see you finally got one of the balinese women's shirts. awesome! so good to see your face!!

Anonymous said...

The pictures are great. Minus the contract in skin color you and your friend Nyoman resemble. The monekey details made me LOL! By the way have you turned in an absentee ballot for the presidential elections?

Hannah said...

That's the same thing Nyoman's family said when they saw me (that I was too skinny)! His mom was said she must have fed me better than I am eating now because I've gotten skinner since I moved out. Yes, the kebaya is Nyoman's sisters (that's why the sleeves are too short :) but I'm planning to get one made that fits because there are so many ceremonies here.
Haha, yes, I couldn't believe the way the monkeys act. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a ballot in because my county could only send it to my home address in the U.S., and the mail is too slow to get it here and back in the 1 month they allow. I was disappointed about that. Now that I have figured out how to post pictures I will try to do it more often!